Tax Counsel Full-time Job1 month ago Legal Worldwide 54 views
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses.
- When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards.
- Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader.
- Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more.
- We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
- Square is looking for an attorney to be a strategic advisor to help support our expansion into new markets and product offerings from a tax perspective.
- If hired, you will be a liaison between Square’s tax and legal teams and interact with other teams across the Square global organization, including the finance and product teams.
- This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on unique domestic and international issues, new market entries and product launches.
- As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. You will report to the Tax Counsel.
- A creative legal mind and a sense of adventure are all required, as is the ability to work in both structured and unstructured environments.
- Assist with tax planning efforts to support expansion and product launches.
- Support M&A due diligence, planning, execution and post-acquisition integration efforts.
- Support tax controversy matters, including tax exams and litigation.
- Perform technical research and analysis on U.S. state, federal and international tax topics, including direct and indirect tax, M&A, tax accounting and product-related tax matters.
- Support tax and accounting teams in evaluating uncertain tax positions.
- Prepare memoranda to document technical positions for planning and provision purposes.
- Support Square’s business lines from a tax perspective, including Seller, Cash App, Capital and Tidal.
- Perform tax review of third party agreements, including partner and vendor arrangements.
- Draft, review and maintain inter-company agreements.
- Review of transfer pricing documentation and policies.
- Support tax information reporting matters and respond to tax authority requests.
- Support tax matters related to employee mobility.
- Assist with special projects, including restructurings, financings, and other operational changes.
- Monitor tax rule changes, perform analyses and communicate the potential impact to Square to tax and legal teams.
- Work with our internal product, business, tax, accounting and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors on a broad range of tax planning, reporting, compliance, planning, analysis and documentation efforts.
- Develop, improve upon and document taxrelated processes.
- Manage projects with a team-oriented approach.
This role can sit in any of Square’s US offices, or be full-time remote from the continental United States.
- 8+ years of relevant strategic and operational tax management experience in large public company tax environment, including time with a law firm, Big 4 accounting firm, or multinational company
- Knowledge of, and experience applying, U.S. federal, state and local tax principles, and other authorities
- Proficient in Subchapter C of the Internal Revenue Code
- Understanding of indirect tax principles, including state and local sales and use tax, VAT, GST and other similar taxes
- Fluency in translating legal tax concepts into applicable guidance for product, finance and other teams
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
- Tax LLM preferred
- Cryptocurrency experience a plus