KinderCare Education is searching for a Tax Accountant I. In this role, you will ensure the timely and accurate payment of the property tax bills. The Tax Accountant I is responsible for KinderCare’s day to day property tax activities, including assisting with unclaimed property compliance. This position partners closely with the Director of Sales/Use Tax and multiple business units internally and externally.
Key responsibilities include:
- Process real estate and personal property tax payments and appropriately post to general ledger
- File reports with taxing jurisdictions, including but not limited to, required income and expense questionnaires
- Process consultant invoices related to property tax appeals, as well as determining the proper accounting treatment of tax refunds and abatements
- Support with month end property tax accrual reconciliation by providing all taxes paid for the period
- Record property tax assessment notices
- Gain knowledge of property tax jurisdictions throughout the country, including tax bill deadlines, appeal deadlines, and tracking statutory deadlines.
- Review all incoming mail and assist with electronically scanning invoices
- Assist with Personal Property filings
- Unclaimed Property Compliance activities including:
- Mail search letters to lost owners where required under law
- Prepare annual unclaimed property reports
- Review GL Account for all new transactions
- Assist with unclaimed property account reconciliation monthly and seek to minimize the number of unclaimed items.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the Asset Management Team regarding lease expiration dates and property tax due on lease terminations
- Communicate with landlords and local jurisdictions regarding property tax bills and providing proof of payment or request bills
Key desired skills and experience includes:
- 2 years’ experience in a multi-state accounting department with general ledger and accounts payable experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, coupled with strong people skills
- Two-year college degree with emphasis on accounting, finance, or tax is preferred
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software programs, especially Excel
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary in order to interface with taxing authorities and other internal departments
- Ability to organize and manage a workload that includes numerous time sensitive tax filings is required; urgency is a must
KinderCare Education employs more than 32,000 team members across 1,700 locations nationwide. Our devoted family of education providers leads the nation in accreditation and includes KinderCare® Learning Centers, KinderCare Education at Work®, Champions® Before- and After-School Programs, Cambridge Schools™, Knowledge Beginnings® and The Grove School®.
KinderCare Education is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.