Our Staff Writer works directly with our dynamic Trending News team, the team responsible for most of our quick hits, our viral-potential hits, and who covers the chart-topping news that gets our audience talking. We’re looking for an excellent writer with an activist bent. You’re unapologetically progressive, but dedicated to research and facts. You’ll create stories on our site designed to drive engagement, helping us grow and diversify our audience, and to find ways to empower our readers to take action. We want someone passionate about immigration, reproductive justice, civil rights, and electing more and better Democrats—and we also welcome writers interested in covering political stories outside our current scope. If you’ve got a fierce written voice, an eye for big news, and a love for online activism and progressive politics, we want you.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We have an energized team of awesome people with diverse backgrounds and experience. If you’ve got a keen eye, are excited by grammar, and have a love for online activism and progressive politics, we’d love for you to join our passionate and dedicated team.
Our offices are in Oakland, CA and Washington D.C., however, we are open to fully remote applicants.
This position could require working weekends.
- Writing trending news stories, both assigned and self-selected, aimed at informing and engaging the audience we have and the audience we want
- Collaborating with other team members to determine how we can drive our audience to action on your stories
- Live events coverage, such as election nights and presidential debates
- News writing experience with a focus on politics and its related issues
- Familiarity with Daily Kos is a plus
- Savviness with images or video is a plus
- Superb writer with the ability to hear and accept feedback
- An innovative thinker with an eye on the latest trends in news and social media
- Capable of writing multiple informative and interesting news stories each day
- Desire to bring fresh and intriguing perspective to a variety of news topics
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- A team player who enjoys both working collaboratively and independently
- Comfortable and confident producing consistent work in a virtual environment
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, dynamic environment full of distractions
- Fantastic all-around communicator
- Be tech and internet savvy (we use Google Docs, Slack, Dropbox, Asana, and lots of other tools that make work life easier)