Disclaimer: This role is remote and can be done from anywhere, as long as you speak English and have local healthcare / innovation knowledge in Sub Saharan Africa. We had to choose one location in order to be able to advertise the vacancy on Linkedin.
Board of Innovation is an independently owned business design and innovation strategy firm with offices in Antwerp, Amsterdam, New York, and Singapore. Our business designers and innovation consultants help the world’s largest organizations navigate fundamental shifts. We do this by developing growth strategies, innovation capabilities, and new businesses with many of the world's largest organizations (have a look at our cases here).
We are scaling up our global project team for Movement Health 2030, which we co-founded together with Roche and Copenhagen Institute for Future Studies. It started in LATAM and now we are looking for a local innovation consultant to launch the movement in Sub Saharan Africa. All countries and regions have their own systemic health challenges that are too big and complex to solve alone. Together with different stakeholders in the ecosystem, we co-create impactful and inclusive solutions at scale fostering healthier communities. You will be working fully dedicated to this project for the coming year(s).
About the team & culture
While we mainly work remotely these days we are a closely-knit team and we're looking for someone who thrives in our culture. If the following statements resonate with you please keep on reading!
- Be entrepreneurial - We take ownership and get things done.
- Raise the bar - We aim to set the standard by working smarter, not harder.
- Help each other - We genuinely help others to shine and be amazing. No ego.
- Make it matter - We focus on what will have the biggest impact. No theatre.
In the role of a senior innovation consultant, you will be working closely together with our project lead for EMEA Julian, our client partner Arne and the rest of our team.
About the role
You will join a multi-disciplinary client-facing team that truly values an entrepreneurial mindset and encourages each team member to make their role their own. Consider the below job description a starting point for yours:
You join the Movement Health 2030 in Sub Saharan Africa:
- You are doing whatever is needed to move the project forward: from coaching startup teams to running collaborative design sprints with multiple stakeholders and setting up local partnerships. An entrepreneurial attitude is key to succeed in this role.
- You will share learnings across different regions to ensure regional and global coordination.
- You demonstrate and apply expert know-how and strategic consultancy, backed up by substantial and significant relevant prior experience.
- You act as a credible leader for a variety of large, complex, conceptual, and strategic programs in a healthcare context.
- You understand and translate needs into effective solutions.
- You maintain high standards for quality of work.
You build expertise and share this with your colleagues (you can expect them to return the favor ? )
- Create differentiating content (cases, tools, frameworks)
- Consistently share expertise within the company
What could a week look like?
- MONDAY: You join the first standup of the week and set priorities together with the entire EMEA team and kick-off with the most impactful tasks.
- TUESDAY: You co-facilitate an expert roundtable to discuss the most relevant healthcare challenges to be solved in one specific country.
- WEDNESDAY: Together with a promising entrepreneur and the director of a hospital, you design a pilot setup to test a new self-diagnosis tool for patients that live in remote areas.
- THURSDAY: You have the first meeting with a regional representative from a global NGO that already works together with the Movement in Latin America. You are excited, it would be amazing to embed this partnership locally!
- FRIDAY: You are closing the week with calls with project stakeholders from various partner institutions and companies to update the team on the progress of the project.
- You have experienced multiple cultures and working styles before. This is a global project!
- You have experience running complex innovation projects/programs.
- You feel comfortable navigating and facilitating various groups of stakeholders (public and private)
- Designing and facilitating different strategy and innovation programs is what gets you excited
- You have experience in applying Design Thinking and/or Lean Startup principles in a project context
- You have worked in the healthcare domain. Local healthcare proficiency is key for the success of the project.
- You have strong business analytical skills and are able to challenge a business case of a new venture, on-the-spot
- You have an academic background in Business/ Design/ Innovation/ Engineering/ OR equivalent work experience
- You are fluent in both written and spoken English. Other languages are an asset that will be taken into account.
- You can keep your head cool and adapt when last-minute changes are needed (we'll support each other when this happens)
- You feel comfortable in the fuzzy front end of an innovation process, where at the same time you bring structure and are able to manage progress in innovation projects or open innovation challenges
- You have what it takes to thrive in our team: eagerness to learn, an open mindset, a team spirit, an entrepreneurial attitude and a ‘raise the bar’ mentality
- You are ready to join our remote project team (either on our payroll in your country or as a full-time contractor)
Why work at Board of Innovation?
- You enjoy working on the most amazing innovation projects with F500 companies (e.g. In this case Roche)
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and want to contribute to our overall business strategies and growth.
- You want numerous on-the-job-and-beyond learning opportunities, and you'll receive a self-development budget.
- You look for a place where you can be your whole self and become part of a highly talented, ambitious, (from time to time hilarious) international, and diverse team (22 different nationalities and counting!). You won't find egos with us.
- You are eager to build a global professional network through our offices and clients worldwide
- If you're interested, you enjoy creating positive change in societies and with INGOs (Unicef, UNDP, UNHCR, SOS Children's Villages,...)
- You will get a market-conform remuneration package, benchmarked with local standards.
- Pre- and post-Covid, we like to surf with the global team once a year. Not just on the internet, but also on the waves in the South of France during our annual Summer Office, bringing the whole team together to connect, learn and have fun.
- You can work flexibly when you're most productive. We don't have typical 9 to 5 expectations.
Board of Innovation recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
Interested? Read more about our culture, mission and values!
The hiring process in a nutshell:
- A short first video-call with our talent recruiter to get to know each other.
- You did a great job convincing our talent recruiter of your potential! Now, let's get to business. We will ask you to prepare a business case based on a typical challenge you might be working on within the project. Afterward, we'll invite you to pitch your presentation in a 10' mockup client call, followed by a Q&A and an in-depth interview about your background by one of our senior consultants. You will also be asked to complete a (challenging ;)) general reasoning test prior to the interview.
- You're on a roll! We will invite you for the final assessment in which you'll meet different people from the team. We'll give you a couple of on-the-spot challenges that you need to solve. No prep needed this time.
Good luck ✌️