You are responsible for:
- Developing software in sprints following the team’s development plans and participating in code reviews
- Maintaining the quality of the software by refactoring and ensuring sufficient test coverage and documentation
- Monitoring the behavior of the code in production and address production issues
- Supporting our software translation process to ensure reliable and timely integration of translation updates
Skills and Experience:
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to be able to work in a fully remote, distributed team across various time zones
- Ability to perform tasks that require the use of command line interfaces
- Developing with a version control system
- BS or MS degree, preferably in Computer Science or Linguistics, or equivalent work experience
- Experience doing code reviews and using code review software is a plus
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Collaborative working experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working on open source projects
- Passion for free knowledge and open source
- Fluency in multiple natural languages
- Special interest in a software development area, such as performance, security, internationalization or usability.
- System administration experience
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.