This role can be based anywhere in the world and is remote-based. Preference given to candidates based in Asia-Pacific or with specific experience in the Asia media market.
The Senior Global Communications Specialist will be responsible for:
- Developing relationships with editors, journalists and producers of key international outlets
- Coordinating 350s broadcast media outreach program
- Updating global media lists
- Day-to-day and rapid response global media content production and pitching
- Identifying media opportunities and engage with issues relevant for 350.orgs work and broader context
- Developing media materials such as press releases, media packages, as well as multimedia materials where possible and relevant
- Monitoring, evaluating and assessing the effectiveness of communications strategies with regular media analyses after big campaign moments.
- At least four (4) years of experience in communications, advocacy for international campaigns, and professionally practicing some of the following competencies:
- Strong aptitude for communication, facilitation and training skills to help guide, inspire, consult and coordinate with remote and diverse teams from different regions
- Excellent teamwork, problem solving, program planning and management skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Flexible and proactive mindset
- Ability to manage self and others
- An excellent communicator and first class writing skills in English and strong email communication skills
- Understanding of the global media landscape, in particular key publications and outlets for environmental and climate change news
- Working knowledge of the current global debates on climate change and climate justice and strong interest in working on these issues
- Familiarity with climate and environmental issues
- Ability to integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion in day to day work:
- Professional experience in an international and/or multi-cultural environment and comfort working remotely with colleagues in multiple time-zones via skype, conference calls, and other online tools
Desired (but not required) skills and experiences
- Minimum 4 years of experience working in communications for a nongovernmental organization, nonprofit or campaign, preferably in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Understanding of financial markets and 350s work to cut financial flows to fossil fuel development
- A people-person who can build relationships with the 350.org staff and volunteer network and also members of the press
- Network of existing contacts and ability to strengthen campaigning relationships with organisations and researchers advocating for climate solutions/ just transition to renewable energy, preferably around the world
- Experience collaborating with diverse constituencies (labour, displaced communities)
- Relationships with key producers, editors and journalists from international outlets
- Experience developing and running communications trainings for groups of staff, local groups and volunteers
- Able to travel internationally on occasion
- Proficiency in Meltwater, Salesforce
- Experience with Google Suite, Slack, and Zoom or similar systems
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others.