We are looking for a Senior Developer with at least 5 years experience to work with us across different commercial projects using CKAN, as well as other OKF community projects. This is a contractor position (with possibility of employment if based in the UK) working up to 40h/week for initially 6 months.
We are a small team working on a mix of commercial and grant-based projects, as well as maintenance of some of the internal Open Knowledge infrastructure. Most of our code is Open Source so you should be comfortable working in the open and interacting with the wider community. We like to learn from each other and complement our skills.
Some examples of the types of activities you may be involved with:
- Writing custom CKAN extensions to support client needs
- Refactor User Interfaces to make them reactive and responsive
- Help design and scope new features alongside product owners and tech leads
- Fix bugs reported by the platform users
See our GitHub repositories for an idea of the types of projects you would contribute to: https://github.com/okfn/ and https://github.com/frictionlessdata/.
- Work on the technical design of features
- Implementation of technical products
- Mentoring other developers
- Interaction and collaboration with the wider technical community
- Python development, experience in building web applications and APIs
- Git and GitHub workflows (Pull Requests, Code Reviews, etc)
- Front-end development with React, Vue or similar technologies
- Docker and other DevOps tooling, including cloud deployments and Continuous Integration
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
This is a full time position. An offer will be made based on Experience. Expected annual earnings between £35,000 and £45,000 based on a flexible 40h work week.
Open Knowledge Foundation is a global non-profit organisation working towards the openness of all forms of knowledge to secure a fair, free and open future for all. A world where all non-personal information is open, free, for everyone to use, build on and share, in which creators and innovators are recognised and rewarded. The wide range of projects we work on all aim to give people access to data, the knowledge to understand it, and the power to use it in our everyday lives.
Open Knowledge Foundation is a distributed team, based all over the world, so experience or strong understanding of what is required to work in a global, multicultural, highly transparent, remote team is a distinct advantage.
The applicant must have their own computer and access to a reliable internet connection.