There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop innovative strategies for brand protection and enforcement
- Conduct all aspects of international and domestic trademark prosecution and maintenance
- Develop company wide-guidelines for trademark, copyright, social media, and domain name matters
- Review marketing materials for compliance with IP laws
- Partner closely with legal teammates to ensure that the marketing team has a cohesive, comprehensive client experience
- Assist in the drafting and negotiation of promotion, licensing, sponsorship, brand ambassador and influencer and other agreements related to the advertisement and marketing of our products and services
- Draft and negotiate cease and desist letters and other correspondence related to trademark and/or copyright infringement
- Manage DMCA complaints and other IP-based takedowns
- Advise on upcoming IP legislation and policy changes that affect the business
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 5+ years of trademark & copyright experience and a deep understanding of trademark and copyright law
- Strong work ethic and ability to be hard-charging and deliver impact in the first 90 days and beyond
- Ability to create friendly and collaborative working relationships, particularly with your teammates, the rest of the legal department, internal clients, and outside counsel
- Pragmatic, risk-based approach to creating solutions for the business in a way that gets to “yes”; a true business partner
- Comfortable dealing with risk, uncertainty, and ambiguity
- Be able to distill complicated matters and communicate in plain language to a variety of audiences
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.