Product at Thresher is charged with solving hard customer problems with scalable solutions combining the efforts of Data Scientists, Engineers, and Subject Matter Experts. This Scrum Product Owner drives new product development on an agile scrum team to help Thresher solve its clients' most pressing problems.
In this role you will:
- Translate product requirements into user stories and guide prioritization of the product backlog.
- Manage the product backlog, plan software development iterations, and help the team expand user stories into deliverable units of work for the sprint backlog.
- Ensure that the team generates and sustains a depth of groomed backlog tasks to plan and execute against.
- Define user acceptance criteria to facilitate validation and acceptance testing of new products and features throughout the development cycle.
- Inspect and evaluate product progress through each development iteration and coordinate changes to feature development based on acceptance testing results and feedback.
- Participate in sprint ceremonies within the agile development framework, including grooming of the product backlog, daily stand-ups, and sprint retrospectives.
- Help the scrum team prioritize the sprint backlog during sprint planning and help the team adjust as needed throughout the sprint.
- Evaluate project/product progress, and communicate status & risks with stakeholders including the executive team.
- Be a product expert, knowing the functional and technical capabilities inside and out and how those capabilities affect design choices and customer value.
You will work with the Director of Product to:
- Engage with stakeholders to gather requirements and understand use cases.
- Contribute to product vision, roadmap and growth opportunities.
- Create and maintain a product backlog that is aligned with the product roadmap.
- Understand tradeoffs between schedule, scope and budget and communicate this information to stakeholders including the executive team.
- Contribute to the continuing improvement and evolution of our Product Management and delivery processes.
- Identify the technical areas of investment to grow the integration between engineering, data science, and analysis.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Scrum and Agile
- Minimum 2 years Product Owner experience
- Experience as a Product Owner for a backend product is preferred
- Working knowledge of the software development process, with an emphasis on Agile development methodologies, and various tools used to support this process
- In-depth understanding of Agile process and principles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in an environment with competing and shifting priorities
- Scrum Alliance or PMI certification(s) for Scrum/Agile Product Owners
- College degree (B.S.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
Why Thresher? Because the need to fight disinformation is growing, and we are looking for someone to help us quickly and thoughtfully build product that can address the issue. This is a great opportunity to collaborate on a team with diverse experience, and work on challenging technical problems with a meaningful mission in the national security and commercial sectors. Our team is made up of veteran entrepreneurs and world-class data scientists, engineers, and subject matter experts. You’ll bring world-class knowledge of product ownership to the team.
Compensation is competitive and includes 20 days of vacation, 9 federal holidays, 9 days of sick leave. We cover 100% of health care premiums as well as the premiums for short and long-term disability plus life insurance. We offer paid parental leave, a work-from-home stipend, and we contribute 3% to a 401K.
Thresher is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you are interested, please submit a letter describing a challenging problem you solved, why you are interested in working with Thresher, and a resume. Applications without a cover letter/answers to our screening questions will not be considered.