Location: US Locations Only; 100% Remote
Were hiring a Recruiter to help us build the incredible team at Basecamp. Youll be responsible for sourcing, recruiting, and hiring top-notch talent, and helping us build out the related tech and systems.
About the job
Basecamp is growing rapidly. Since launching our new email service HEY to great success last year, its become clear that we need a lot more people to do both that product and our namesake product Basecamp justice. As a result, we intend to more than double the current size of the company over the next 18-24 months.
Weve never had a dedicated in-house recruiter before because weve never hired like this before. But now we are, so we need help with the process. Thats where you come in.
Day to day
- Youll conduct full lifecycle recruiting for all roles within Basecamp: engineering, design, sales, customer support, marketing, administrative, and leadership. Full lifecycle includes setting up kick-off meetings with hiring teams to learn about their needs and wants, sourcing candidates, screening applications, conducting Zoom screens, seeing candidates through the hiring process, and collecting candidate and hiring team feedback.
- Youll work with hiring managers & leadership to devise and roll out repeatable, standardized screening practices and metrics. Youll work with hiring teams on an ongoing basis to make sure those systems are being used effectively.
- Youll partner with hiring managers and their teams to help them navigate the recruiting process. Youll help them make informed and thoughtful hiring decisions.
- Youll use team & candidate feedback to consider how to improve our candidates experiences.
- Youll design new-to-us sourcing strategies that bring previously untapped pools of diverse, top-tier talent to our open positions.
- Youll create and actively maintain talent pipelines for all existing roles.
- Youll take a lead role on recruitment process improvement projects. Youll always be looking for ways we can improve our hiring process with different tooling, reporting, and workflows.
- Youll provide informed input on building out a tech stack to streamline recruitment and hiring.
- Youll pitch in on writing job descriptions like this one.
Youve been doing this work for a while in a professional setting, and youre comfortable doing it remotely. Youve hired for all sorts of roles high tech, low tech, and non tech. You have a successful track record of filling varied roles across all departments with hires who stick around for a while. You have experience in a high-volume environment, and you can organize and prioritize multiple simultaneous searches. You recognize that this work requires bringing your human self, but also your analytical self. Finally, you have experience recruiting candidates from across the world. Basecamp is a global company with a global workforce.
You should have a natural ability to establish trust and make people feel comfortable. You approach your work with a spirit of partnership and collaboration, not exclusion or rigidness. Youre a resourceful problem solver; you can feel for gaps in what youre working on and suggest solutions. Youre a manager of one. You can take a stand yet commit even when you disagree. You prefer direct feedback, and youre comfortable working without a ton of daily oversight and with a high degree of trust.
Youre a great writer and critical thinker, and by extension, recognize those skills in others. Basecamp tends to see hundreds of applicants for any one role. Humans review all applications submitted one-by-one no AI or screening software. Youll be able to handle that volume, and youll be comfortable applying nuanced metrics to those hundreds of applications. We screen for straightforward core competencies, but also for subtle qualities that dont quite translate to a scorecard, like thoughtfulness, a delicate touch, and a quiet confidence. You can pick a candidate out of the herd who brings that full range of skills.
This is a fully remote position, but you should live in the United States. This role requires basic knowledge of US employment law and how it relates to recruiting and hiring.
Once hired, you can expect a mindful onboarding process with structured ramp-up time. You can expect a team that listens. You can expect to be counted on and the freedom to do your best work. We build our apps, our teams, and our company for the long haul, so you can build your career here if you choose to.
We respect everyones right to participate in political expression and activism, but avoid having political debates on our internal communication systems. Basecamp as a company also does not weigh in on politics publicly, outside of topics directly related to our business. You should be at peace with both of these stances.
Pay and benefits
Basecamp pays in the top 10% of the industry based on San Francisco rates. Same position, same pay, no matter where you live. The salary for this position is $120,000.
Our benefits support a life well-lived away from work. Ample time off and all the resources you need to support you in doing the best work of your career. Heres more on the benefits we offer.
How to apply
Please submit an application by Friday, November 5, at 5:00PM US-Central time. Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Tell us why you want this job and why youd like to work at Basecamp. We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time.
We expect to take a few weeks to closely review all applications. You should not expect to hear from us until November 19 (and you will hear from us!). Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the screening process. We usually see hundreds of applications for roles, and our small hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback before the interview stage.
Interviews will take place in November. Our interviews are conversations held with future colleagues no tests, no surprises. Then we hope to extend offers by the first week of December with a flexible start date in December or January. Please be aware that you may see delays as we go through the process, due to the holidays.
We know this is a demanding application process! We appreciate you giving us that consideration, and we promise to give you our full attention in return. We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: US Locations Only