We're creating a brand new Legal team, and now looking for our first hire to work directly with Yoto's Chief Legal Officer. You will be setting up and scaling the legal function, designing smart processes and drafting templates. On a day to day basis, you'll be multi-tasking across commercial, IP, tech, procurement, privacy and consumer law.
On top of technical commercial legal skills, we're looking for a pragmatist who can balance risk and imperfection, who enjoys a challenge and is adept at juggling multiple priorities. You'll find it rewarding working with lots of different personalities in a creative environment, and applying legal thinking to anything thrown your way. Yoto is a fast-growing start-up with rapidly evolving needs and an ambitious product roadmap. There is plenty of legal work to do and it's an exciting time to be joining!
What you'll be doing
As Legal Counsel at Yoto, you'll be responsible for:
- Leading on e-commerce, marketing agreements, privacy policies and consumer terms, collaborating closely with Yoto's UX, Marketing and Tech teams;
- Liaising with the Content team, commissioning and licensing unique children's audio content from publishing houses, podcasters and independent artists;
- In particular in respect to music, securing rights from record labels, publishers and collection societies;
- Product counselling for software and hardware with our Creative and Tech teams, to support Yoto's ambitious product roadmap;
- Working closely with the Supply team, negotiating contracts dealing with component procurement, hardware manufacture, distribution and logistical supply chain for the Yoto Player;
- Supporting Yoto's Commercial team to draft and negotiate retailer and partner contracts;
- Assisting in the development and protection of Yoto's IP portfolio including patents, trade marks and design rights;
- Providing legal support for ad-hoc projects across the board, working with Finance, Ops and supporting on corporate matters and the Chief Legal Officer's work with the Board; and
- Developing and owning new legal templates, putting in place scaleable legal processes and touch points across the growing business.
What you'll need
This is a mid-level legal role, with plenty of room for development and progression, and an emphasis on continuing development of technical legal skills. You will need to be qualified as a solicitor to work in the UK, with 2-5 years' experience in-house or at a top law firm (ideally with secondment experience).
In addition, you may have all or some of the following, the more the better:
- Previous content licensing, production or content acquisition experience;
- Time spent in-house working in media/content or at a high-growth tech company;
- Interest in and/or working knowledge of e-commerce, marketing or data privacy law;
- Strong commercial acumen and experience negotiating commercial contracts; ability to take a pragmatic approach to legal risk and advise the business accordingly;
- Skilled at collaborating with stakeholders across all levels of the business;
- Openness and enthusiasm for learning about and taking on new areas of law;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience working across jurisdictions, ability to spot red flags and instruct counsel;
- Solution oriented attitude, ready to roll your sleeves up and get things done!
We relaunched Yoto Player in early 2020 having worked with leading design agency, Pentagram, on the redesign of the product and the Yoto brand. Since then, and despite certain major world events, we have doubled (and sometimes tripled) MoM revenue, we've launched UK, EU, US and Australian websites, and won multiple awards including TIME's Best Invention 2020. We raised USD17 million in Series A funding to help facilitate rapid growth across Europe and North America. The investment was led by Acton Capital with participation from JamJar Investments, Global Founders Capital, Emerge Education, as well as MPL Ventures.
Our content partners include Roald Dahl Story Company, Penguin Random House, Hachette, Macmillan, Harper Collins, Sony Music, Naxos, Storynory and more. Luke Kelly, grandson of Roald Dahl and MD of the Roald Dahl Story Company, is on our board, and we are well-funded - backed by leading investors and run by experienced entrepreneurs.
Our award-winning Yoto Player lets kids explore hundreds of audiobooks, albums, podcasts, educational content, soundscapes and more without a screen. The Yoto App lets parents retain a level of control over their content library, Player features and more.
As of mid-2021, we have a fast-growing London-based team (mostly remote working), with a US office. We have recently announced partnerships with Disney and LEGO DUPLO and have a pipeline of new products and original content to roll out.
The role is currently fully remote due to the pandemic, but we have an office in King's Cross, London, where you'll be expected to visit from time to time. Whilst this is not a remote only position, we offer flexible working hours or remote working where possible and appropriate. Many of the team are parents and we truly understand that life and work need to work together.