Us: Default alive startup of 60+ people. Remote team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni. Creating a web-based platform for behavioural research. 3x yearly growth, all driven by word-of-mouth.
We’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research.
You: A commercially-driven Lawyer/Legal Counsel who is keen to play a major role in the development of a growing startup!
What you'll do:
- Act as a legal point of contact for the Company both internally and externally
- Conduct legal research and advise on many areas impacting Prolific's business, including global data privacy, employment, financial regulation, commercial contracting
- Keep up-to-date with industry guidelines and legislation in all areas impacting Prolific's products, services, and business
- Help to deliver guidance and training on a range of business and legal issues
- Work collaboratively across multi-function teams especially closely with HR, Finance, and Operations
- Work with the General Counsel to ensure best legal practice and delivery of legal services across the Company
- Work with and manage external multi-disciplinary and multi-jurisdictional legal counsel
- Qualified Solicitor with commercial experience working in-house or at a private practice.
- Able to review and draft commercial contracts.
- Data protection/privacy knowledge/experience.
- Competently able to undertake complex and multi-jurisdictional legal research.
- Great verbal and written communicator.
- Able to manage numerous tasks and prioritise according to business needs.
- Technologically savvy.
- Able to understand and facilitate strong multi-team collaboration.
- A self-starter who is willing to work autonomously and remotely.
- A 'can do' attitude and willingness to challenge what has gone before.
- Experience of working in a data service or research company.
- Experience of advising in UK financial regulations, UK and EU data privacy legislation.
What we offer:
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
- 33 days holiday per year (25 days + bank holidays, which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- £1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from the executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
At Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Our co-founders Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers from both Academia and industry with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team, our bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
We were in Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, we've recently closed a $1.4M seed round, over £4M revenue in 2020 all driven by word-of-mouth, we're default alive, and we have very ambitious plans.