Atlas Obscura is seeking a full-time brand-savvy visual designer to join our team. In this role, you will work to conceive and execute top quality design on behalf of various in-house departments and strategic partners in support of the company’s mission and strategic design vision. You’ll be a strong voice for our visual brand and bring brand consistency to varied creative outputs reaching Atlas Obscura’s curious and diverse audience.
This role will report to the Head of Design. Note, Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company, so you can work from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada
- You will work across the company collaborating closely on projects with marketing, sales, events, editorial, and digital product teams;
- innovate within brand standards, finding key opportunities to extend, expand, and codify new and evolving standards;
- advocate for design at every level, creating new processes, tools, and resources to help enrich and grow a strong culture of design company-wide;
- create production-ready marketing assets from pre-existing templates for both print and web;
- create reusable design solutions, for potential use by non-designers, to handle a variety of internal- and external-facing needs;
- concept and produce visuals for promotional email series or marketing campaigns as a stakeholder alongside our Audience and Marketing groups;
- and update or extend design assets (copy, image, and layout) within existing design files from our Head of Design and/or Senior Product Designer.
- B.F.A. in design with 5 years of professional design experience; or equivalent combination of education and work experience;
- You should have demonstrable proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Sketch;
- a proven ability to be a brand expert, working within established guidelines or building strong brand design systems from scratch;
- a strong visual and typographic sensibility;
- a basic familiarity with user experience fundamentals and best practices;
- the ability to produce consistently high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment;
- the enthusiasm, adaptability, and willingness to build on the ideas of others while bringing your own ideas and inspiration to each project;
- experience working across teams dealing with divergent feedback;
- the desire to stay on top of the evolving technology and design landscape including the emergence of new standards, trends, and devices;
- and excellent organizational, project management and communication skills.
Atlas Obscura is the premiere destination for the curious, creating content, experiences, and tools that help millions of people find wonder every day. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven platform for discovering the world’s wonders, the company also offers top-of-class storytelling, unique online and in-person experiences, and once-in-a-lifetime trips. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies.