Who We Are Looking For: Impactual seeks an enthusiastic self-starter who has a passion for politics, philanthropy, and making a difference. At Impactual, everyone plays a role in accelerating impact. This exciting position calls for a dynamic and strategic thought leader with long-standing engagement in politics, democracy, and movement building who is eager to leverage their expertise to support civic-minded brands achieve lasting, measurable impact.
As a Director of Brand Strategy at Impactual, you will report to the firm’s Managing Director and work with our firm’s partners, other staff, and clients to devise and deploy innovative strategies at the intersection of culture and social change. In this role, you will lead social media and press engagement to create and maintain a positive, impactful brand identity for Impactual and several of its clients. In addition, as a member of the management team, you will support overall team coordination and contribute to the strategic growth of the firm.
About Us: Impactual LLC is a social impact consulting firm. We help causes, philanthropists and brands address some of the most pressing political and social challenges. Our clients include individual and institutional philanthropists, Fortune 500 companies, and high-impact nonprofits.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Brand Strategy and Implementation (35%)
- Design and implement a comprehensive communication strategy for Impactual with clear, achievable goals, plans, and content that drive business development, client engagement, and program impact through earned media, social media, events, collateral, newsletters, emails, and web content.
- Propose new processes for shared social media workflows, ensuring Impactual and its clients are effectively and efficiently gathering content ideas/research and executing a social sharing strategy.
- Ensure staff understand and continually and consistently use brand identity and communications best practices.
- Monitor press regarding Impactual, its staff, and its clients for opportunities and possible impacts.
- Manage organizational messaging calendar for press, social media, and email to generate content acknowledging and responding to important public moments.
- Maintain updated website(s).
- Advise and assist staff on other teams with communications tasks, including by:
- Strengthening and/or copy editing high-priority written content (e.g. engagement guides)
- Framing messages and drafting remarks for events as needed;
- Social Media Management (30%)
- Use social media marketing tools to create and maintain the brand identities of Impactual and its clients.
- Manage Impactual social media accounts overarching strategy, workflow, and implementation, including: brainstorming and mapping out content on a regular basis, effectively soliciting content ideas from the full team to uplift the firm’s different areas of work, overseeing drafting, design, and posting of content, and managing staff as their work relates to social.
- Cultivate an engaged online community via the company’s social media accounts.
- Research social media trends and make changes as relevant to the company’s social strategy.
- Set and track key performance indicators (KPIs) for social media efforts, such as targets for a certain number of shares or likes and measuring a campaign’s performance against the KPIs.
- Public Relations (20%)
- Establish a media footprint for Impactual and its clients by building and maintaining press lists and relationships, liaising with the media by pitching stories, responding to inquiries, and positioning Impactual and its clients as leading voices in civic engagement.
- Collaborate with program staff and client staff to inform strong press strategies.
- Manage Impactual and client communications consultants to succeed in their stated goals/scopes of work.
- Craft compelling press releases, media advisories, statements, quotes, letters to the editor, op-eds, etc. regarding Impactual and its clients.
- Special Projects and Firm Management (15%)
- Impactual is a small firm and we’re an all-hands-on-deck team. As a senior team member in a dynamic environment, this individual will be expected to lead and support special projects, including high level events, participation in coalitions or working groups, etc.
- This role will be responsible for other duties as assigned and may include supervising staff.
- Support development of healthy internal culture rooted in Impactual values, proactively identifying opportunities for values advancement, and working with partners and the senior management team to identify and address challenges.
- A seasoned strategist. You have 7-10 years of experience developing and delivering on clear, well-thought-out communications and social media strategies. Others easily understand your thinking and get excited about your ideas. You dream big, and you channel that creativity through to a concrete plan. You are familiar with what it takes to build and execute new initiatives from scratch. You have a deep understanding of and familiarity with corporate social responsibility efforts and their potential for long-term power building.
- A clear communicator and trusted advisor. You are an approachable, active listener who shares information and advice with clients, partners, and staff in a way that is clear, useful and inspires trust and confidence. You nurture relationships and can work and communicate well with all kinds of people. You are optimistic, curious, and well-respected by all who work with you, irrespective of title. And you have the ability to work with people of different backgrounds and create a work environment necessary to drive positive social change. You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You can craft high-quality proposals and presentations, clearly explain complex concepts, and combine intellect and intuition.
- Able to get things done. You are solutions-oriented, a problem-solver looking for the best solution to whatever challenge you’re confronted with. You can work independently within deadlines and balance a variety of projects, and proactively look for ways to offer support and be of use. You are a master organizer and planner and consistently look ahead to anticipate needs before they arise. You have a passion for or previous experience supervising and coaching staff.
Compensation and Benefits: Impactual aims to be a responsible and supportive employer and cultivate a fun and inclusive work environment. The salary for this full-time, non-exempt position is $80,000 - $110,000 depending on the experience level. Benefits include:
- Eleven paid holidays, plus the week between Christmas and New Years;
- Paid vacation and sick leave, as well as paid extended parental, family and medical leave;
- Health insurance QSEHRA reimbursement;
- IRA retirement contribution;
- Monthly wifi and cell phone stipend;
- Monthly health and wellness stipend.
Location: Washington, DC-based candidates are preferred given the nature of the role, but Impactual LLC is a fully-remote team as of 2021 and we are open to a fully-remote candidate. Candidates will be expected to travel for work approximately 1-3 weeks per quarter as CDC guidelines permit.
Where permitted by applicable law, must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by hire date to be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Impactual is deeply committed to being a diverse, inclusive, and equitable place to work. We believe big change is only possible when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives come together. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state, or federal law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.