The Data Team Lead is a member of the global Product team. This position is a full-time remote role, preferably based in GMT time zone or plus or minus a couple hours to overlap the in-country team working hours as much as possible.
This role will be responsible for driving the on-time delivery of myAgro’s data products. You will lead the development of key components of myAgro’s data platform, which will have global reach. An important responsibility of this role will be to lead, mentor and grow the data team, build processes using best practices, and support the broader team with the use of data and dashboards. We use Tableau and similar tools for visualizations, program with Python and libraries for pipelines and data processing, and using the principles of human-centered design to build impactful tools and ways to use our data to bring higher impact and decisions. You will also be working closely with the field operations and program teams directly, so written and verbal communication skills are critical. This position reports to the CTO, and manages a small team of data professionals.
Key responsibilities are:
- Data team management: build a strong team ready to support the organization using data tools. This includes hiring, mentoring, and management of the team.
- Project management: Lead project planning and monitoring of technical development from design through release of data tools. Define and document the project scope, goals, deliverables for the project. Define project tasks and resource requirements. Facilitate meetings, assemble and coordinate project staff. Plan and schedule project timelines. Track project deliverables using appropriate tools. Conduct project evaluations and report results.
- Data processes and standards: Oversee the data management process, providing support and training on techniques for working with data and best practices for visualizations and reporting, and create processes and standards to be used within myAgro for future team growth.
- Data roadmap: Own and drive the vision and goals of myAgro’s data products and tools for Field Operations and Programs; deeply understand use cases, develop functional specifications, and work directly with the Product Management team in order successfully to rollout comprehensive solutions.
- Data architecture: Working collaboratively with the team, design how we will build myAgro’s data systems, applications, and pipelines so it can scale to support 1 million farmers and the related team.
- Support: Set up structure so the data team and collaboratively troubleshoot, fix bugs and be responsive to myAgro’s users. Solve problems quickly and communicate with related teams as needed.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least 3 years of real-world experience, preferably as a technical lead
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools
- Experience working with data tools, including visualization and pipeline tools
- Have worked and managed data teams before, and clear knowledge of best practices
- Proven record of being a self-starter and delivering on projects.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work cross culturally
- A calm and patient attitude to listen to the problems, perform research in that direction to come up with significant solutions for the problems.
Preferred Skills and Qualities
- French proficiency a plus but not required. The tech team primarily works in English.
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.