Our work is driven by our team’s desire to be pioneers.
In 2009, we created Robots & Pencils with the then-contrarian view that mobile would be more transformative than the Internet. Turns out we were right.
Today, our thinking is rooted in the belief that, in the age of unprecedented technology acceleration, maintaining a competitive advantage requires new strategies and a focus on innovation.
Our approach has been to create a company designed to follow the talent, allowing us to amass an unfair share of hyper-skilled people who call Robots & Pencils home. A team of people who not only develop innovative solutions to transform businesses, but also create products that have been previously inconceivable.
What are our core values?
- Strong Work Ethic
- Top Drawer
- Always Learning
Robots & Pencils offers:
- We care about Talent. Hard stop.
- We do this in many ways, by offering:
- An attractive compensation package
- Excellent benefits Medical, Dental, Vision etc. (this routinely gets reviewed each year for enhancements)
- Paid stat/federal holidays, vacation and sick days
- Flexible paid stat/federal holidays (because we care about what you care about and want to celebrate our culturally diverse team!)
- R&P branded swag
- Parental & adoption leave top up / salary continuance
- But we also know a job isn’t just defined by the above, so we pride ourselves in being a company that also offers:
- A #FollowTheTalent mentality -- meaning you can be located anywhere in North America and work remotely. (We have 10+ years of experience building virtual working environments #WeKnowWhatWereDoing)
- A dynamic, fast-paced environment where we’re #alwayslearning.
- And lastly, a team that cares about you and wants to drive the talent experience. How do we do this? Over the years we’ve hosted comedian shows, had holiday parties, happy hours, brunches with the CEO, surprise coffee runs for the team, health & wellness events and prizes, trivia nights, surprise dinners for R&P team members and their family and so much more! (And yes, we’ve prioritized a way to do these things in a virtual setting and not just in person - thank you Zoom!)
Who you are:
You do remarkable things and solve tough problems where many others have failed before. We are looking for people who are driven to be pioneers. If this is you -- we want to hear from you!
You are someone who believes that insights can be mined from data and utilized to predict a user’s behavior. You love to experiment and have a strong desire to learn. You have strong opinions but that are weakly held; you are humble yet confident.
You know the difference between Regression and Clustering, when to use Supervised vs Unsupervised Learning, and can debate the merits of dimensionality reduction using Principal component analysis. You’re not bound to any one framework, library, or tool suite and feel like you could pick up any tool or language that’s right for the job. You’re also diligent about meeting allocated budgets and can work within time constraints, but you will never sacrifice quality.
On top of this, you are independent, but you’re also comfortable working in cross-functional teams. You have excellent communications skills and can share insights and expectations with stakeholders, clients, team members and various levels of management.
- Analyze client data as well as our own data, delivering first-class statistical analyses and predictive models
- Create large labeled datasets on which to carry out various forms of supervised/unsupervised learning and model testing
- Interact with data engineers and software engineers to make algorithms scalable and production-ready
- Support sales and project managers with technical insights, leading to the creation of budgets and schedules for projects
- Share knowledge and insights with team members through lunch n’ learn programs or mentorship
- Experience in software development or MS in computer science or a field related to data science
- Experience with open source statistical analysis software package such as R, Python (Pandas, NumPy, SciPy)
- Experience with big data and query tools (SQL, Spark, Hive, Hadoop)
- Experience with Cloud Technologies/Services like Azure, AWS and Google Cloud
- Experience with ML libraries, frameworks, or APIs such as TensorFlow, Caffe, Torch, Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit, SageMaker, Watson
- Familiarity with software development practices including object oriented and functional programming, testing, and continuous deployment pipelines
- Strong statistical or mathematical background, with exposure to deep/machine learning, social network analysis, or recommender systems
- Proven work experience in software development
- Experience with testing and performance optimization
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to share insights and expectations with clients, stakeholders and colleagues, both locally and remotely
Robots & Pencils aspires to have a workforce that is representative of the diversity of our country and encourages applications from everyone