Basecamp is hiring a manager of Customer Success to help us deliver an even better experience to all Basecamp and HEY customers. To date, we’ve been great at responding to questions, but now we’d like to level up and anticipate what people need to be successful on our products.
About the work
Starting up for the first time with any new piece of software can be overwhelming, or just plain confusing. We’re envisioning a (not too distant) future, where we’ll have robust onboarding programs for new customers that help them get started. We do some of this today, but there’s so much room to expand. We’re thinking about everything from “real person” outreach on Day 1 to check-in’s after 90 days, 180 days, a year… to make sure people are getting the most out of their investment with us.
Technology can help us here too, as we identify early signals that suggest someone needs help before they contact us, or worse yet, just give up. We want to be like magic mind readers who have the answer before the question is even asked.
And it’s not just about the software. A lot of our product features are built around our approach to work. So maybe, what customers need isn’t the “click this button” type of help, but a “how do I get other people to collaborate with me” help. We have thoughts on that type of challenge too!
We’re looking for an experienced Customer Success Leader. In this role you will lead the development of new programs to increase customer satisfaction and retention, based on equal parts experimentation and data from our internal systems. You’ll collaborate closely with our brilliant customer support team, data analytics team and our product team to learn from them and share insights from our customers.
What you’ll do here
- Analyze customer data, with an eye toward identifying ways in which we can impact retention.
- Pioneer programs (experiments first, then full rollouts) that improve customer experiences with onboarding and implementation. These could be individualized outreach, or segmented by customer type, or something that’s great for all customers!
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with customer support, marketing and product, to provide valuable product feedback and customer insights.
- Define metrics and KPIs that showcase growth opportunities and engagement success
- Implement reporting to show progress, performance and ROI of Customer Success at the tier level, team level and individual level
- Develop a deep understanding and appreciation for the Basecamp ethos and voice to ensure that the experiences we deliver are in line with our core beliefs.
We’re looking for experienced candidates who have done this work, and most importantly, are comfortably starting up from scratch with a lot of “hands on keyboard” time as we scale the team and the programs.
- You are comfortable with the art (designing programs) and science (measuring outcomes) of this work, and have worked on projects in the past that had this duality.
- You have a bias for action and experimentation, with a growth mindset toward learning and evolving as we go.
- You are a strong collaborator, communicator and work well cross-functionally. We do have a lot of years of experience with our products and serving customers, and you’ll want to tap into that.
- You are a strong leader with a track record of building and growing high performing teams. You care deeply about your team and their growth
- You have excellent organizational skills, managing multiple initiatives comes naturally, as does measuring their progress and outcomes.
- You’re ideally a user of Basecamp 3, familiar with a number of CRM platforms, and feel comfortable learning new technologies on the fly.
You can expect a mindful onboarding process with structured ramp-up time. You can expect a team that listens. You can expect to be counted on and the freedom to do your best work. We build our apps, our teams, and our company for the long haul, so you can build your career here if you choose to.
Basecamp is a fully remote company, and this is a remote job. We’re hiring from anywhere with at least 3 hours of overlap with the US-Central Time zone during a normal work day. This could be a 11:00-19:00 schedule from Europe, but we’re not hiring from locations that require a graveyard shift to make the overlap happen.
Since we’re a remote company, the bulk of our work is written, whether that be in the form of long reports or short chats. We value good writers. We also value people who can take a stand yet commit even when they disagree. We subject ideas to rigorous debate, but all remember that we’re here for the same purpose: to do good work together. Charging the trust battery is part of the work.
We respect everyone’s right to participate in political expression and activism, but avoid having political debates on our internal communication systems. Basecamp as a company also does not weigh in on politics publicly, outside of topics directly related to our business. You should be at peace with both of these stances.
Pay and benefits
Basecamp pays in the top 10% of the industry based on San Francisco rates. Same position, same pay, no matter where you live. The compensation for this position is $124,937.
Our benefits support a life well-lived away from work. Ample time off and all the resources you need to support you in doing the best work of your career. Here’s more on the benefits we offer.
Applicants from outside of the US will be offered a contractor role on comparable terms and equal pay with our domestic employees.
How to apply
Please submit an application by Friday, November 12, at 5:00PM US-Central time. Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Tell us why you want this job and why you’d like to work at Basecamp. We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time.
We expect to take a few weeks to closely review all applications. You should not expect to hear from us until after the application window closes (and you will hear from us!). Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the screening process. We usually see hundreds of applications for roles, and our small hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback before the interview stage.
Interviews will take place in December. Our interviews are conversations held with future colleagues – no tests, no surprises. Then we hope to extend offers in December with a flexible start date in January. Please be aware that you may see delays as we go through the process, due to the holidays.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. This is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective and we’re eager to further diversify our company. Basecamp is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
We look forward to hearing from you!