Counsel II, Privacy and Data Protection Full-time Job1 month ago Legal Worldwide 52 views
Counsel II, Privacy & Data Protection (Remote) Job
Location: Maple Grove, MN, US, 55311
Additional Locations: US-MA-Marlborough; US-CA-Valencia
Diversity – Innovation – Caring – Global Collaboration – Winning Spirit – Caring – High Performance
At Boston Scientific, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you by working in teams of diverse and high-performing employees, tackling some of the most important health industry challenges. With access to the latest tools, information and training, we’ll help you in advancing your skills and career. Here, you’ll be supported in progressing – whatever your ambitions.
About the role:
Boston Scientific is looking for a United States based Privacy Counsel to join the legal department as a key contributor to its growing world-class Global Privacy Team. This role provides you with the opportunity to deliver legal advice and counsel to an innovative medical device leader on a broad portfolio of diverse privacy and data protection matters. Your day will include a variety of matters that will require you to assist, advise, investigate, research, and resolve legal matters as well as write corporate legal policies to ensure that company personnel are aware of and in compliance with applicable U.S. federal and state laws and regulations.
***This role can be remote or at any Boston Scientific location***
Your responsibilities include:
- Directing development and delivery of training to Company personnel.
- Managing outside counsel to support global business goals and ensure compliance with applicable U.S. federal and state laws and regulations.
- Fostering company compliance with global privacy and data protection laws and regulations as well as privacy and information security best practices and standards.
- Providing legal counsel and support in business development activities, including conducting due diligence, advising on privacy and data protection issues, facilitating transfer of legal responsibilities, assisting and advising on product development related issues as they arise, and directing outside counsel in assisting the Company with issues as needed.
- Identifying, implementing, maintaining and updating privacy policies and procedures in coordination with Global Compliance colleagues, the Legal Department, Global Security, R&D, Global Quality, all business units, Human Resources including the Group Health Plan, Corporate Analysis and Control and Information Systems; interact with program and product management across Boston Scientific to provide direction and guidance on company-wide privacy and information security projects.
- Advising Human Resources department on content and implementation of data protection requirements of policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with Global Compliance colleagues, Human Resources, the Chief Information Officer, Global Security and the Legal Department, assisting with the processes for receiving, managing and appropriately responding to potential and actual security/privacy breach incidents, complaints related to privacy and security issues, and government authorities’ inquiries into the company’s privacy policies and procedures.
- Coordinating information privacy risk assessments, data audits and implementation of recommendations resulting from same, including HIPAA Privacy and Security Assessments.
- Reviewing privacy and information security implications of proposed business changes, including of mergers and acquisitions, marketing, and outsourcing activities.
- Reviewing and advising business on drafts, and approves data protection requirements in contracts in a variety of areas, including IT cloud service, application development, distributor data handling, consulting, non-disclosure, research, data use, clinical, business acquisitions and mergers, and other areas as needed to ensure business interests are protected.
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting privacy, data protection and business associate agreements and assisting business and commercial counsel in reviewing data protection sections of software license agreements, master services agreements, professional services agreements, SOWs, and other types of commercial agreements.
- Facilitating the development of privacy and data protection training and educational materials tailored to specific business/functional needs and legal requirements.
- Assisting in maintaining third-party/vendor data management and compliance.
- Remaining current on privacy and data protection developments, new legislation/regulations, and competitive benchmarking.
- Managing appropriate policy and operational implementation of the requirements under HIPAA, including negotiation of Business Associate Agreements and development of related education.
- J.D. from an accredited university with admission to practice law in at least one state.
- Understanding of HIPAA and other applicable U.S. privacy and data protection laws and regulations (federal and state) required.
- Advanced proficiency in the independent review of complex BAA agreements and strong contract drafting and negotiation skills required.
- 5+ years of experience developing and implementing practical global privacy and data protection solutions, including policies, training and awareness programs, and communications (global/multi-national organization and health care industry experience preferred).
- Certification in one or more of the following:
- oInternational Association of Privacy Professionals certification: IAPP/US,
- oCertified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC) by the Health Care Compliance Association.
- Knowledge of industry standards affecting privacy and information security, such as NIST and ISO 27001/27002 preferred. Privacy and/or security professional certifications (e.g., CIPP) also a plus.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and drive results.
- Pro-active attitude and approach towards continuous improvement.
- Dedicated commitment to the highest standards of quality, integrity, ethics and professionalism.
Requisition ID: 492056
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.