We are looking for a content writer to join the team at Cliniko. Most of our customers are healthcare business owners. We love to be able to support them with the business, management, and technology sides of running their business. Primarily we do this with our software, Cliniko, but that’s only a part, we want to do more. We want to gather, simplify, and share information with them that can help. The internet is a busy and unreliable place, we want our online material to be a place our customers can come for quality.
What is Cliniko?
Behind Cliniko is a team of 42 people, spread around the world. We work completely remotely, although our base is in Melbourne, Australia. We care more about finding the best person for the job than looking for someone that lives nearby.
We don't have managers, we rarely have meetings, and there are no time sheets to complete. We're responsible, autonomous, creative, and proactive in doing our best for our customers. We're focused on making great software and we take pride in doing good work. It’s important to us that we have a positive impact on the world.
If you want to know more about how we work, our founder, Joel, gave a talk about it.
What you’ll work on
You will spend your time writing or editing things for Cliniko. Taking a rough idea or a vague concept and developing it into a final piece is the norm. This can include things like:
- Blog posts.
- Social media posts.
- Website copy.
- Community forum posts.
- New feature announcements.
- Scripts for videos.
- Wording within the Cliniko application.
- Researching topics for content.
- Anything else you think needs doing.
You’ll help us continue to communicate in a friendly, honest, and sometimes humorous way.
- You are someone who loves to write, and people enjoy reading what you’ve written. It’s friendly, humorous, and easy to understand. You have a way with words that’s engaging and joyful. You can take a complex topic, and make it clear and easy to understand.
- It matters to you that when someone reads your writing, they are better off for it. That might mean they learned something, had an emotional response, or even just enjoyed themselves. There is a purpose to your content.
- You have superb English skills (both verbal and written). You are able to take your thoughts, or subject matter that you’ve researched, and put them together in an easy to understand way. You’re able to convey your content in an enticing, accurate, and jargon-free way.
- Doing research before you write a piece is an enjoyable part of the process. You want to make sure you really understand a topic before you put together your piece. You are comfortable learning about and creating content for new topics, because of the strength of your research.
- No matter what your background is, or how you identify, if you feel you meet the requirements, we encourage you to apply. We know that having a diverse team is necessary to have different perspectives, and it's how we’ll continue to find new ways to make Cliniko better. We are committed to the continual diversification of the team and working to constantly improve our inclusivity which is crucial to how we work.
Here are some things we do a little differently to enable people to do their best work and live a happy life:
- 30-hour work week, full-time pay.
- Flexible hours, choose when you work.
- Work from anywhere.
- Unlimited annual leave (minimum 4 weeks per year).
- Supplied computer equipment.
- Ergonomic furniture.
- Fresh organic fruit delivered weekly to your home.
- Overseas trips for full team meet-ups (family invited and paid for, too).
- No managers.
- No meetings.
How to apply
- Please use the “Tell us about yourself” field on the following application page to give us enough information to be interested in taking you to the next stage. This doesn't mean you need to go over the top though – we'll have a lot of applications, so a focus on clarity and quality is appreciated. Oh, and please be yourself, there’s no need for formality.
- There’s also a field to link to work that you’ve done that you’re proud of. You can reference one or more pieces of content that showcase your ability well.
- Lastly, we’d love you to write a tweet for us. We want to announce that unlike certain others in the news lately, we will NOT be working on a self-indulgent space mission. This is a satirical tweet, and not one that we’ll actually use. Although we’d like to :)
What you can expect after applying
- Once you’ve applied, sit back and relax while we get to work on our side! We’ll only begin reviewing applications on 8th October, 2021, after applications have closed. In recent hiring, we’ve had hundreds of applications, so it can take us some time to review them all. We will individually review every application.
- You can expect to hear back from us by 22nd October, 2021 at the latest. Every application will get a response, whether successful or not. If you haven’t heard from us by then, please do let us know.
- At this point, we’ll be down to around 50 applications that are still in the running, so you can see why the initial application matters. Our founder, Joel, will then have a 5-minute video call with all these applicants to determine who will continue to the test stage. This round should take approximately 1 week to complete depending on the number of applicants still remaining.
- We will then narrow to a much smaller pool of remaining applicants, and there’ll be a mock writing task to complete. We expect this task will take no more than 6 hours to complete, so please make sure you’re prepared to spend that time before applying. To partly compensate for the time you would spend on this, we'll pay $250 AUD to each person who submits the task
- From the tasks, we will select just a few to have short video chats with a number of people from our team to help us make the final choice. You’ll likely chat to people from a range of roles at Cliniko (support, developers, etc.).
- Finally the exciting part for us, and hopefully also for the chosen person. We’ll hire them to join our team! That will happen fast, and the start date will be chosen by the applicant.
- We know it’s quite a process to go through, so we want to make sure you know what you’re in for up front. It’s important that you can make an informed decision to participate or not. We’ll be transparent with everyone along the way.
- One final note, unfortunately due to the quantity of applications we receive, we are not able to provide feedback for those not successful in the first round. In the later stages, we’ll do our best to provide what we can, if requested.