GitLab'sDevOps platformempowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of theworlds largest all-remote companieswith 1,400+ team members andvaluesthat guide a culture where people embrace the belief thateveryone can contribute.
Backend Engineers at GitLab work on our product. This includes both the open source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service as well. They work with peers on teams dedicated to areas of the product. They work together with product managers, designers, andfrontend engineersto solve common goals.
The Secure Team (previously known as theSecurity Products Team) is responsible for the security checks features in the GitLab platform, and maps to thesecuretransversal stage. You can learn more about our approach on theSecure Visionpage.
The primary goal of the person in this role is to ensure all Secure features are able to run within a GitLab instance deployed on an Openshift environment. While remaining in the same team, you'll work with multiple teams covering a large breadth of tools and knowledge. When there is no specific Openshift focused work, you'll work on regular dev tasks from the Composition Analysis roadmap.
- Significantprofessional experiencewith Ruby on RailsorGolang
- Deep understanding of Openshift environments (usage, constraints, best practices)
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile,intensely iterativesoftware development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills:Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Shareour values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Ability to use GitLab
- Comfort and familiarity with ourcode review process
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment.
- ConductCode Reviewwithin ourCode Review Guidelinesand ensure community contributions receive a swift response.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional nighton-call rotationsto assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on ourhiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.