NCU is currently seeking a dynamic individual to become part of our Academic Success Center team as an Academic Coach specializing in written communication skills.
Part-time virtual Academic Coaches are responsible for providing academic assistance to Northcentral University students in a variety of forms, including synchronous and asynchronous coaching sessions, tutorials, and webinars. Writing coaches assist students in developing strong written communication skills. Coaches will identify the student’s unique learning strengths, develop individual plans for academic support, and promote self-confidence and independence. Our data indicate that students utilize coaching services between 5:00 a.m. to 9: 00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PST seven days per week; therefore, preference will be given to applicants who can work a mix of morning, evening, and weekend hours.
- Assist students in understanding the foundation of scholarly writing and using an academic voice, allowing them to relate the concepts across all courses as well as in their personal and professional life.
- Assist students in understanding APA guidelines related specifically to written communication.
- Assist student in being able to critically analyze existing research with a focus on qualitative methodology.
- Assist students in presenting a compelling argument for why a study is needed that is rooted in existing literature and theory.
- Implement best practices in working with adult, online students at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Provide synchronous one-to-one and group academic coaching.
- Provide asynchronous screencast or written coaching feedback.
- Assist students in becoming autonomous, self-directed learners.
- Provide post-coaching session feedback to students.
- Maintain records of student contact.
- Engage in the assessment of student learning.
- Help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the necessary resources to aid in success.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies, and goals; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Develop academic resources to include video tutorials and lessons on assigned topics.
- Stay current with organizational, educational, and faculty development policies that affect the ASC.
- Continually improve coaching skills.
- Support the mission of the ASC within Northcentral University.
- Participate in required training, coaching, and other activities that promote high-quality coaching.
- Attend team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the ASC Associate Director and/or Coordinator.
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill requirements of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of adult learning theories and cognitive load theory.
- Graduate-level written communication skills.
- Developmental editing skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of APA style guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper paraphrasing.
- Demonstrated expertise of NVivo.
- Ability to work in an online environment.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving skills.
- Skill in operating equipment, such as personal computer and phone system.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with aggressive goals and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to establish online rapport and maintain a friendly, helpful, patient attitude and demeanor.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite
Education and Experience
- Doctoral degree in a relevant field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Professional/Formal Tutoring experience or academic coaching certification required.
- Demonstrated success working with non-traditional (adult) students required.
- Previous success in tutoring, academic coaching, or teaching written communication required.
- Ability to provide personalized instruction in non-technical language based on students’ unique strengths and growth areas with little to no preparation required.
- Experience in an online learning environment required.
- Proficiency in using technology in the delivery of education required.
- Experience working with online doctoral students preferred.
- Demonstrated success in guiding doctoral students through dissertation completion preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. The physical requirements for performing the essential functions of this position require the team member to be able to:
- Able to sit, stand, kneel, walk, and reach.
- Able to lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Hear well enough to communicate with others.
- Read a computer screen and written material.
- Write, type, and use phone system.
This position operates in a remote, home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones.
NCU will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Who We Are
NCU students, alumni and faculty reside in all 50 states and more than 50 countries. Working professionals choose NCU for their higher degree because of our extensive program offerings, weekly course starts, no group projects, regional accreditation and overall flexibility. Northcentral University is regionally accredited by WSCUC (WASC Senior College and University Commission), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001.
We envision growth trends to continue, and eagerly seek highly-credentialed and enthusiastic individuals to join our team.
Are you ready to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to join a growing team of passionate individuals who work together to help others fulfill their dreams through higher education?