The Senior Accountant assists the Senior Accounting Manager ensuring that transactions are recorded in a timely and correct fashion by applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), which includes analytical work and thorough reviews of financial records. This position will help maintain/control General Ledger accounts and business transactions for the organization. The Senior Accountant requires a strong knowledge of accounting principles and key controls that ensure the integrity of underlying accounting records.
Accounting Functions (60%):
- Assist with daily, monthly and year-end operations for department, ensuring transactions are in accordance with GAAP, as well as internal policies and procedures
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare journal entries to general ledger accounts
- Perform the accounts analysis to ensure assigned balance sheet accounts are reconciled on monthly basis and are properly supported, prepare, and enter the journal entries as needed.
- Analyze all work documents to ensure accuracy and analyze all accounting and tax information and ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Review and approve the supplier invoices booked in Workday for services and goods purchased and used in North Carolina, California, and Kansas to ensure the compliance with sales and use tax regulations
- Timely communicate of errors in processing supplier invoices with sales and use tax in Workday with the Accounts Payable Team and the self-service employees and assist in their resolution, provide the trainings for these employees if necessary
- Track the expenses’ accounts for correct coding and compliance with the budget and company’s policy
- Prepare and enter journal entries to reclassify the expenses to the correct accounts, cost centers, projects accurately, including the compilation of appropriate supporting documents
- Answer accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data
- Prepare the monthly-end and year-end close entries
- Prepare documentation for year-end audit
Analysis and Reporting Functions (35%):
- Prepare monthly/quarterly reports and file Sales and Use Tax Return for North Carolina, California, Kansas and other States Sales as required.
- Prepare and file NCDOR Claim for refund State, County, and Transit Sales and Use Taxes (E-585)
- Keep track on monthly basis of all updates and changes of Sales and Use tax regulations in North Carolina, California and Kansas, and other States if required by participating in educational opportunities, keeping up with States’ Departments of Revenue websites and reading professional publications, notify regarding these updates and changes Accounting Operations Team, Accounts Payable and self-service employees
- Research and interpret tax statutes and regulations
- File and remit other taxes and financial obligations
- Review current procedures and make potential change recommendations to senior departmental management
- Analyze and compile the annual Lobbing expenses, assist in preparation of the 990 Form
- Prepare the assigned census reports
- Find Tax solutions to complicated tax issues or errors from incorrect tax payments
- Work with external auditors and States Departments of Revenue regarding compliance with tax regulations
Other Responsibilities (5%):
- Contribute to process improvement initiatives and support implementation of new financial and business operational systems as assigned
- Participate in special projects as directed by Assistant Controller and Senior Accounting Manager
- Assist Senior Accountant when necessary
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for efficiency
- Strong understanding of US tax regulations preferred
- Able to maintain work priorities in an environment with multiple concurrent tasks and projects and maintain flexibility related to assigned tasks
- Must be able to meet deadlines in fast paced environment
- Demonstrate ability to assess and implement technology, including streamlining and automating processes.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
- Demonstrate attention to details and solid record-keeping skills
- Experience with reconciliations
- Display willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound judgment and contribute to building positive team spirit
- Demonstrates accuracy, attention to details and ability to multi-task
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Reliable, dependable, willing to make the extra effort to insure timeless and accuracy
- Demonstrates understanding of GAAP and relevant accounting standards
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of computerized accounting systems
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelors: Accounting (Required)
- BA/BS in Accounting required; CPA and/or MBA preferred, Experience with Workday preferred, Minimum of 2 years accounting experience, Prior accounting experience in nonprofit environment preferred
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).