GitLab'sDevOps platformempowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of theworlds largest all-remote companieswith 1,400+ team members andvaluesthat guide a culture where people embrace the belief thateveryone can contribute.
This Backend Engineer, Scalability position is 100% remote.
The Scalability team is responsible for GitLab and GitLab.com at scale, working on the highest priority scalability items in the application in close coordination with Reliability Engineering teams and providing feedback to other Engineering teams so they can become better at scalability as well.
- Find, define and resolve architectural application bottlenecks as observed on GitLab.com
- Work with other engineering stakeholders on resolving larger architectural bottlenecks
- Analyze existing, create and maintain new GitLab.com Service Level Objectives
- Resolve problems contributing to missing GitLab.com SLO targets
- Provide guidance to other engineering stakeholders on scaling considerations
Candidate should ideally be:
- Experienced in working on large scale systems
- Experienced in application and systems observability
Other qualifications include:
- High proficiency in at least one of the following programming languages, in order of preference:
- Knowledge of other OOP languages is a nice to have
- Proficient in one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of profiling, and performance testing
- Understanding of basic database principles and optimization mechanisms
- Proficiency with SQL, beyond abstractions offered by ORMs such as Active Record
- Knowledge of one or more of the services used to deliver GitLab.com
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level
You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.