We’re hiring a Senior Backend Engineer to join our founding team. You will be working closely with our CTO, Charles, to shape both the team and platform while we get ready for scale.
You like to get things right, a pragmatic perfectionist who will continuously shape our application architecture and make it ready to scale. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, performance, and maintainability.
You're well-acquainted with typed NodeJS codebases and preferably these technologies: GraphQL, Apollo, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch, Docker, AWS, websockets, microservices, event-driven architecture.
Your top priority is shaping the architecture of our product and getting it ready for scale. You'll work on the technically ambitious projects we have planned. Some examples currently on our roadmap:
- ? Realizing integrations with a wide ecosystem - Miro, Jira, Google Analytics, etc.
- ? Implementing microservices and extend our event-driven architecture.
- ⏱️ Enabling version control on all user data.
- ⚡ Improving real-time collaborative functionality. Using fractional indexing, last-writer wins and other techniques to provide a superior user experience.
As a founding team member, you will get a chance to set the foundations of our engineering culture. You will help articulate our engineering principles and help set the long-term roadmap.
We're looking for
- An ambitious engineer with several years of experience working on back-end architecture and design. Previous experience at a scaled product is a big plus.
- An engineer who wants to be at the foundation of a fast-growing team.
- A product-minded engineer that wants to understand how people use our product and why.
- An asynchronous worker who organises and documents their work.
- A clean coder who writes well-structured and maintainable code.
What we offer
- Remote position, for 4-5 days per week, across flexible working hours.
- Collaborate with zealous colleagues having 20+ years of experience working in the field.
- A unique opportunity to shape a product and our growing team.
- Regular off-sites/company outings with the TheyDo team.
- Competitive compensation and equity package.
- As many vacation days as you need, we expect you to take at least 25.
- Professional development reimbursement.
- Mental health and wellness reimbursement.
- Paid parental leave.
- Home office & technology reimbursement.
To summarise, we value work-life harmony backed by personal freedom under responsibility. Sounds like fun? We're looking forward to having you join our team. ✨?
Our engineering team
The engineering team consist of: a CTO, three full-stack engineers, one back-end engineer, and one QA tester. We aim for a relaxed environment within the ambitious goals we have for our product.
Our server is fully typed and built using NodeJS, Apollo, Redis, Postgres, ElasticSearch and more modern technologies. Our web application is also typed and uses VueJS, Apollo, WebSockets, and more. Other tooling currently includes AWS, Storybook, Cypress, Jest, Stripe, and WorkOS.
A typical day at the office for an engineer includes; flexibility to organise your own time, no set hours, ample time for deep work, as few mandatory meetings as possible, plenty of pair programming with team members to get your code just right, reviewing pull requests, and running around in our virtual office.
TheyDo's culture is 'Do' rather than 'Talk'. Better ask for forgiveness instead of permission, no one will be accused of trying. We try to keep things simple because complexity slows us down.
It's not about the time spent, but the outcome achieved. It's up to everyone to map, plan and interact in the best way to get the most out of their day, week, and sprint. Always with an open mindset because we never know when and where the next great idea will surface.
Being remote we nourish and cherish connectivity, so no one feels alone or left out. We don't have long lines of communication or decisions because hierarchies and silos are part of the past and we love to shape the future. In our virtual office, you can just walk up to your team to have a quick chat, get work done or simply say hello. We motivate everyone to find their own work/life balance. Whether you choose to work asynchronously or synchronously it's up to you as long it fits you and your team.
TheyDo is an equal employer treating everyone as equals. We value diversity and individuality. We think long term and strive to hire the best match for each role, no matter your background.
Be sure to mention the words SHIELD TOPIC SLIDE when applying to show you read the job post completely. This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
Salary and compensation
$80,000 — $130,000/year