Were constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you dont think you quite meet all of the qualifications, wed still love to hear from you.
About the team
- The Trust & Safety team at Canva ensures that everyone who creates and interacts with content on Canva can do so in a safe and trusted environment.
- Trust and safety are an important part of Canva values and promise that we make to our customers, so making sure that we uphold this promise is an important part of our product and services.
- The group is responsible for interpreting Canvas values and turning them into actionable policies and tools that deal with misinformation, inauthentic behavior, platform abuse, and possible harm to our customers.
- This means not only developing and applying the policies, but also developing the systems and parts of the product which enable us to enforce those policies.
About the role
- As the Head of Trust & Safety, youll lead the team that creates and owns the strategy for all of trust and safety and how its performed across Canva.
- You are a leader who is passionate about defending people from misinformation, inauthentic behavior and platform abuse.
- You will ensure Canvas shared values influence Canvas Terms of Service and provide clear guidelines, with examples, for the moderation of user-generated and public library content.
- As an experienced leader, youll play a key role in collaborating with a committee including the Founders, Legal, Security, Corporate Communications, Engineering and ultimately all of Canva to provide accountability and transparency for the application of Canvas values to content.
- You will also have to be good at thinking and analyzing T&S decisions through multiple lenses and understanding the ambiguity and nuances.
- Youll have experience not only leading but growing teams, and will play a key role in owning resourcing for Trust & Safety, including building out the team across Policy, Operations and Engineering.
What youll do:
- Create a strategy and vision for Canva surrounding defined goals for Trust & Safety, aligned with leadership and other teams around the business.
- Build a team that delivers the Trust & Safety vision and strategy. This is an area we deeply prioritize, and hiring and growing the team will be a key part of the role.
- Build a deep understanding of the current problem space by working with business and growth leaders to understand existing issues and the content moderation process.
- Responsible for interpreting Canvas values, communicating to all of Canva how those values apply to content, providing clear reasons for moderation decisions and communicating publicly, if required, when negative content erodes the trust of Canvas users, partners or regulators.
- Design, build and operate the systems, processes and roles that enable T&S strategy development, decision-making, and execution.
- Build out automation capabilities through Engineering and Machine Learning based processes.
- Write company policy that defines and outlines the compliance structure and communicate those policies to key stakeholders.
- Advocate for the performance and plans of Trust & Safety and build key relationships with stakeholders and leaders across the company.
What were looking for:
- Deep experience in Trust & Safety, having an understanding across Policy, Enforcement and Operations.
- Experience building high-performing teams with the ability to not only define the strategy and goals but build a framework of the group that aligns with Canvas values.
- Experience influencing and earning the trust of senior stakeholders and moving business teams to take action.
- An innovator who is willing to roll up the sleeves and get into the weeds.
- Ability to proactively resolve strategic issues and unblock others with a solution-focused approach.
- Highly collaborative, effective partner who can influence through smart, thoughtful communication and execution.
- Empower experts across multiple fields to contribute and create policy based on insights at the forefront of decision making.
- A natural advocate and champion of your teams strategy, roadmap and plans.
Being a Force for good.One of our core values at Canva, Being a force for good means we are actively working towards a world that isnt just good for a small few, but one thats good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If youre keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.