Overview of the role
The Paralegal will work directly with the General Counsel and Counsel on legal and compliance-related matters, all in support of The Trevor Projects mission of saving young LGBTQ lives.
The Paralegal will focus on lobbying compliance, contracts, and policies and procedures. This role will also work on various other projects handled by the Trevor in-house legal team, whose remit covers all legal matters of the organization, including nonprofit compliance, corporate governance, contracts (such as vendor agreements, grant agreements, corporate partner agreements, and software licenses), technology-related matters, marketing and fundraising, intellectual property matters, employment and volunteer matters, disputes, and management of outside counsel.
As the third member of our lean legal department, the Paralegal will be positioned to take on significant responsibilities and have an impact on our compliance and legal processes and policies across a high-growth tech-focused nonprofit organization.
Who you are:
- Builder. Youre someone who thinks strategically. Youre excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement best practices and continually innovate.
- Experienced. You have a proven track record across legal and compliance areas, with 4+ years of experience as a paralegal. You have familiarity with lobbying regulations, registrations, and reporting, ideally with multiple states.
- Driven by Details and Process. You sweat the small stuff. You have an eye for detail and make sure that Ts are always crossed and Is are always dotted. You enjoy figuring out complex rules and regulations and handling government forms and registrations, youre a contract template wizard, and you love a good process.
- Sensible. You exercise excellent judgment, effectively work independently while escalating issues as needed to your manager, navigate sensitive matters with appropriate discretion, and have an eye for business considerations as well as legal ones.
- Communicator. You enjoy sharing your knowledge and findings with others, and can do so in a way that is exciting and understandable to a wide range of audiences.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork. You have a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality and enjoy working on small teams.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesnt mean we dont have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What youll do:
- Handle all of The Trevor Projects lobbying requirements, registrations, and reports, including collecting relevant information, completing reports, and managing timelines, in collaboration with Trevors in-house attorneys, other staff members, and external advisors
- Assist with development of new policies and procedures, including those relating to lobbying, contracting, charitable sales promotions, and other relevant legal areas
- Draft and update contract forms and legal guidelines, commensurate with ability and experience
- Assist with management of legal department materials, contract management documents, legal pro bono records, and other legal-related information
- Provide research, drafting, review, project management, and administrative support on various other legal, contractual, and compliance matters, in collaboration with Trevors internal team and outside counsel as appropriate
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend, and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer