From the insights gained in the first phases, Chance is able to recommend 40 potential career options, and then assist in refining a selection of relevant options whilst also enabling networking opportunities with established talent in the most interesting vocations identified. At the end of the programme platform users are equipped and empowered to secure a new professional life with potential employers now able to understand how to adjust their hiring criteria to look beyond educational credentials or past career accolades. Revenues are generated from fees charged at programme sign-up, either via a free-trial and premium offering. The product is available in French-speaking markets today with c.70% of participants female from the c.10,000 users in 2020 to date. The programme is fully accredited to be financed through French Personal Training Credits (CPF) available to all French taxpayers and, as a social business leader, 25% of all users of the programme have salaries below €1400 net per month.
Founded in 2015 by Ludovic de Gromard and Clemence Coghlan, Chance is approaching a period of growth following a fundamental pivot in early 2018. The genesis of Chance can be traced to Ludovic de Gromard’s education in social entrepreneurship and applied psychology, early career experiences in hiring teams and an opportunistic presentation to Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Prize winner, at a conference in Bangladesh in late 2014. The Chance concept was first launched in Brazil, given the social context, with funding secured through Google.org’s Impact Challenge. Initial products identified high potential candidates from comparative game-based recruitment test data. Whilst significant enterprise contracts were secured for recruiting this talent, the recruiting business model conflicted with the social impact goals of Chance. This led to a pivot in early 2018 to reposition the product as a candidate centric B2C offering. At the same time, Chance relocated its headquarters to Paris, assisted by further funding from Google.org and success in the Facebook France Start-Up competition. This led to the launch of their new digital B2C augmented coaching programme in 2019.
In April 2020 Chance completed Series A financing totalling €5.6m led by Zulu Group, Google.org, French Ministry of Labour and various family offices. Muhammad Yunus operates as Honorary President alongside advisors Francoise Gri, former CEO of Manpower and IBM France, Alex Asseily, founder of Jawbone, Robert Dilts, a world leader in coaching and Gilles de Robien, former French Minister for Education. Today the organisation is c.30 employees supported by a community of over 100 partner coaches. The central goal is to build a robust and independent social company for the long term, and to achieve this Chance is now embarking on a significant expansion phase to complete its product offering and fulfil the market opportunity at scale.
Reporting to Scott Stonehocker, VP Product, and as a key member of the product leadership team, you will set a vision for great customer experiences, and deliver products and services that are known for their delightful experience and ease of use. You’ll use your craft to build a personalized auto-coaching experience that guides users through their introspection phase and the discovery of their strengths, drivers, and deeper meaning for their careers. You’ll lead users to a moment that helps them realize what they truly want, and enable them to get there. To do this well you’ll need to leverage data, collaborate across teams, and practice deep customer empathy in order to scale a highly customized and personalized auto-coaching experience.
Upon joining Chance you will begin breaking the current linear product flows to rebuild a more intelligent experience that captures users inputs in a way that will personalize their auto-coaching experience. Your goal will be to build a system that can serve up the right content at the right moment, and maximize the “aha”moments throughout the auto-coaching. You’ll also build an augmented coaching solution for our coaches and talent agents so they have the real-time data needed to provide specific coaching and mentoring to their Chance clients, and accelerate the most important benefit - helping people find a job they love. This is tech for good.
As the Head of Design, you will be a critical part of the acceleration of our company, delivering customer benefits through your thoughtful designs. We need collaborators who work cross-functionally, with experience to be able implement best practices in user interaction, customer obsession, and the product development process. There are some complex challenges, and we need doers who aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and fix tough problems, no matter the project. You will need to be able to take complex problems and break them into manageable chunks, and be able to explore new problems and solutions. Not only will you need to be able to work upstream, but it will be critical to deliver and execute as well. We will work hard and fast, have fun, and deliver awesome products.
Experience & Skills
- Extensive experience of interface design experience at a high tech, product-driven company, delivering high-volume, high-profile or award-winning web sites or products; preferably experience with SaaS and mobile products
- A collaborator and natural mentor who can lead by example to help other designers adopt best practices
- Clearly communicate design work with solid rationale informed by research and data
- A driven self-starter, experienced in taking ownership and direction of ambiguous projects and managing multiple and complex projects in a timely manner
- Strong knowledge and experience with driving and applying user-centred design processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with cross-functional teams including engineering and product management.
- Seasoned in Agile development processes, from discovery and problem definition, to detailed UX and visual design
- Creative problem-solver who can work upstream to digest giant problems and break them into smaller parts, and then execute on low-fidelity prototypes of workflows, rapid test with customers, and translate those learnings into higher fidelity designs using Sketch and Figma
- Able to understand and adhere to a design system, and challenge and contribute to it when necessary
- Approach problems with curiosity and excitement to learn and grow your skills
- A passion for creating products that resonate on an emotional level with experience leading other designers